Mark has consulted on dozens of disasters, involving the health of millions of people throughout the world.
Public health emergencies place an enormous burden on both public and private institutions. Decision makers have little time and opportunity to perform assessments, monitor progress and evaluate the results of disaster-related health issues.
It’s not an exaggeration to say that disasters can cost billions of dollars AND affect the lives of millions of people.
Dr. Mark Keim partners with institutions of all sizes to create disaster management products and services based on scientific evidence and best practices.
Expert Appointment, US Office of the Surgeon General, Al Qaeda bombing of US embassies in Tanzania and Kenya
Co-lead, CDC Emergency Operations Center in response to the World Trade Center attack and Anthrax emergencies
Incident Manager, CDC Emergency Operations Center, US Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita
Team lead, national-level planning for pandemic influenza in 4 southeast Asia nations
Team lead, CDC health assessment team for American Samoa Tsunami
Lead, academic advisors for CDC emergency response to Deepwater Horizon oil spill
Lead consultant, Plan to Protect project after Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands
DisasterDoc helps organizations address their needs for rapid and accurate disaster-related information.
Areas of Expertise
- Pandemic preparedness and response
- Public Health Emergency Preparedness (PHEP) cooperative agreements
- Hospital Preparedness Program (HPP) cooperative agreements
- Disaster assessment and epidemiology
- Chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and explosive terrorism
- Disaster planning, jurisdictional risk assessment and disaster risk reduction
- Climate change and extreme weather eventsSmall island developing states
- Emergency management for pubic health officials
- Public information and risk communication
- Environmental hazards
- Mass gatherings
- Adult education and training
Types of Institutions Mark Has Worked With
- State and local health departments
- Hospitals and clinics
- Universities and colleges
- Governments and municipalities
- Public health organizations
- Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs)
- Businesses and corporations
- International organizations
- Media and communication outlets